Philosophy of care
Wessex Independent Midwives are passionate about their work and dedicated to providing a high standard of care. We believe in a woman’s ability to birth her baby and we provide support and information to build your confidence and enable you to make informed choices on how and where to birth. We approach the experience of childbirth as far more than a physical event, perceiving it as a profound emotional, mental and spiritual experience for both the mother and her family.
Our midwifery model of care is based on the continuity of carer model which is the model of care the UK government aims to achieve.
We believe women and their families have the right to:
- A midwife they have chosen, who will be there throughout the pregnancy, birth and up to a month after baby’s birth
- A midwife who truly understands and respects you as an individual
- A midwife who will provide you with recent evidence based and balanced information
- A midwife who will support you in making informed decisions about your care, tailored to your individual circumstances.
- A midwife who has time to see you in your own home at a time to suit you.
- A midwife who truly understands the journey of birth and how to maintain an environment to ensure your birth is a positive experience
- A midwife who cares for the whole family unit throughout the pregnancy, birth and postnatal period.
By choosing our independent midwifery care you will feel safe and supported throughout your pregnancy, during your birth and postnatally. You will be able to relax, knowing that you have a relationship of trust with a midwife who knows what you want and truly respects your wishes.
"From start to finish, every step of the way you have been there for us. It has been a magical journey"